[ANSTHRLD] confilct check

Blaise de Cormeilles blaise at scadian.net
Mon May 17 13:25:13 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 02:58:59PM -0500, Tim McDaniel wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2004, Brent Ryder <borekvv at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > [Dmitrii syn Dmitrii Rostislavich]
> > >I have a gentlemen that would like his device to be sable and or per bend
> > >sinister 2 axes saltire or a drinking horn sable i believe that is right
> > >any help
> > >would be appreciated
> >
> > If I am thinking right about this, the blazon would be, "Per bend
> > sinister sable and Or, two axes in saltire and a drinking horn
> > counterchanged"
>
> That looks right to me, going by the posted description.  But if
> you're at all uncertain about the blazon, it's best to post a
> desciption in English words.
>
> For Borek's proposed blazon, the shield is parted along a line from
> the viewer's lower left to upper right.  The part that's above and to
> the viewer's left of that line is black, and the viewer's lower and
> right is gold.  The axes are crossed over their hafts, like X, and
> they're entirely gold (shaft and blade).  I'm not sure of the default
> orientation of the axes then -- if the cutting edges are outwards, I
> think we have to add "addorsed".  The horn is black.  I'm not sure of
> the default orientation of a drinking horn: I suspect the mouth is to
> the viewer's left -- but I think there's no difference granted for
> a horn versus a horn reversed (opening the other direction).

As you know, Bob... er... Dan, default orientations can be found in the
SCA College of Arms Glossary at
<http://www.sca.org/heraldry/coagloss.html>; in the instant case, the
default orientation of a drinking horn is palewise, bell to chief.

(The overall address that you want to remember is
<http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/regs.html>; that gets you direct
links to all three of the important documents: Rules for Submission,
Admin Handbook, and COA Glossary of Terms.)

Blaise
--
Jim Trigg, Lord High Everything Else  O-          /"\
SKA Seigneur Blaise de Cormeilles                 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN