[ANSTHRLD] interesting find

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Fri Nov 19 10:09:07 PST 2004

> >This was the final(?) chapter in what turned into a hard boiled detective
> >novel/saga of documenting her name.  Daniel really has the details (he
> >started it) so I'll let him post the info on what all occured.  I think
> >the full edition with all of its chapters is going on the Laurel website
> >at some point for all to read; but that may be delayed with the office
> >change.
> >
> >Etienne
>

> Ah, thanks.  And please forgive the non-snipping of links.  Won't do that
> again.... I'll ask Daniel.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Clare

Here's the text that appears in the 09/1997 LoAR when her name & device were
registered.  And for those folks whose mail readers barf on HTML text, I've
pasted the entry from the O&A that Morsulus put in when this name and device
were added to the O&A.  I guess he couldn't let Laurel have the last word.
*grin!*

Enjoy!

Mari

http://www.sca.org/heraldry/loar/1997/09/lar.html

Myfanwy ferch Eifion. Name and device. Gules, an iris bendwise slipped and
leaved between two Bowen knots argent.

Unlike the standard practice, the submissions herald presented the
documentation on this name in the form of an excerpt from a hard boiled
detective novel including as characters several members of the College of
Arms. Those members who were written in felt obliged to continue the saga.
Since Laurel was referred to in several of the chapters, we feel that it is
only proper to finish it here. Note: for those who would like to see the
entire thing, it will be in the 1998 Known World Heraldic Symposium
Proceedings.

[The Slug, sitting in her chair in her office, sipped at her bottle of Jae
juice and grinned evilly to herself as she read through the report on the
Myfanwy case. She rang the bell and the duty-minion leapt to her side
groveling at her feet. "Here, file this report! It is obvious that the
master plan is working. If the top players in the onomastic action are kept
busy duking it out, they won't have time to bother me!" As the minion
hurried off to do the Slug's bidding, she grabbed the next file from the
stack on her desk and started reviewing it, a red pen in her hand.]

Myfanwy ferch Eifion
This name was registered in September of 1997 (via Ansteorra).
Call me The Bit. I edit a rag here in the City of Arms. There are a hundred
stories a month on this beat, and I get 'em all, thanks to an arrangement I
have with The Slug.
The following device associated with this name was registered in September
of 1997 (via Ansteorra):
Gules, an iris bendwise slipped and leaved between two Bowen knots argent.
I figured I'd slip the name in between two other Myfanwys where no one would
read it. There was armory, too, but The Slug never sends pix. I had to
reconstruct it from her blazon. When I did, I let out a low whistle. Nothing
sells papers like knotty arms...