[ANSTHRLD] Notes on November ILOI

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Nov 26 11:15:10 PST 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Paul E. Kiefer, Jr. <rapierman at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Doug Bell <debell1 at txcyber.com> wrote:
>> "Gules, a gauntlet sustaining a sword fesswise and in base two doves
>> displayed argent."
>> This looks like 3 different types of charges in the primary group.
>> Slot machine return.
>
> Brings up the question: Would a sustained charge be a secondary?
> Does it even count?

In re it counting: that's the entire point of making a distinction
between maintained and sustained.  A maintained charge is too small
and insignificant to count for difference.  A sustained charge is of
comparable visual weight to the charge holding it and therefore gets
treated as a member of the same charge group -- in this case, the
sword and gauntlet (if indeed the sword is big enough to be sustained)
are both in the primary charge group.  I don't know of a way to get a
primary charge holding a secondary charge -- if sustained, they're
both primary; if maintained, primary+artistic frou-frou.

If the birdies are indeed "in base", they can't be part of the primary
charge group, so how can it be slot machine?

DdL
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com