[ANSTHRLD] Device help

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Oct 25 08:22:05 PDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Yoshinobu <yoshinobu at airmail.net> wrote:
> By using the same logic, a device I am working on for one of my new
> people that starts out "Per Cross Wavy Gules and Sable..." would be
> out for the same reasons? Or are the larger fields enough to make
> good contrast?

I guess I was too disorganized and need to be systematic.  Sorry.

RfS VIII.2.a defines what "good contrast is".  (By the way: if you
haven't downloaded a copy of the Rules for Submission and
Administrative Handbook from the Laurel Web site, you should.)
"Good contrast" boils down to metals (light tinctures: white and
yellow) have good contrast with colors (dark tinctures: black, red,
blue, green, purple).  But there's also more details, like
- if a field or charge is predominantly light (like ermine), it
  is treated as a metal
- if a field or charge is predominantly dark (like pean), it
  is treated as a color
- a field or charge that is half metal and half color is treated as
  neutral, so long as identifiability is preserved (like not having a
  red horse on a half-red field, say).

RfS VIII.2.b defines what is done with "good contrast".

    b.   Contrast Requirements

    i.  The field must have good contrast with every charge placed
     directly on it and with charges placed overall.

     For example, "a pale vair between two owls Or" might be placed on
     a field gules, but not a field ermine because the owls would not
     have good contrast.  Similarly, a field vert with a fess Or
     contrasts with a wolf rampant overall that is argent or ermine,
     but not a wolf that is gules or sable.

    ii.  A charge must have good contrast with any charge placed
     wholly on it.

     For example, a tree placed on a pale azure could be Or, argent,
     or ermine, but could not be pean or proper.

    iii.  Elements evenly divided into two parts, per saltire, or
     quarterly may use any two tinctures or furs.

     For example, a field quarterly could be composed of azure and
     gules, argent and Or, Or and ermine, or vert and vairy gules and
     argent.

    iv.  Elements evenly divided into multiple parts of two different
     tinctures must have good contrast between their parts.

     For example, "checky argent and gules" is acceptable, but "checky
     azure and gules" is not.

    v.  Elements evenly divided in three tinctures must have good
     contrast between two of their parts.

So, for "Quarterly wavy gules and sable, ..." ... a few blazon notes.
- The only words that we Capitalize in an SCA blazon are
  - "(Fieldless)" and "(Tinctureless)".
  - The first word of the blazon proper.
  - The tincture "Or"
  - Proper nouns, like "a Bowen knot" or "a cross of Jerusalem".
- "Per cross" has been used in real-world blazons, but we use
 "quarterly".
Hence "Quarterly wavy gules and sable, ...".

VIII.2.b.i and ...ii don't apply because charges haven't been
mentioned.  iii applies, because it's quarterly.  iv does NOT apply
    iv.  Elements evenly divided into multiple parts of two different
     tinctures must have good contrast between their parts.
simply because iii already gave permission.

Daniel de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com