[ANSTHRLD] RE: Optio

Maridonna maridonna at maridonna.com
Tue Sep 7 10:31:48 PDT 2004

Christie Ward wrote:

> The word <optio> is a Roman legion rank for a sub-officer to a
> centurion.  (nom=optio, gen=optionis, I think).
>
> Notre Dame's online Latin dictionary is horking up hairballs just now,
> I'll look at my dictionaries when I get home.
>
> A big issue for me is, "was <optio> ever used *after* the Fall of
> Rome?"  That's going to require someone laying hands on a dictionary of
> medieval Latin.  If I have a chance, I'll run by UT this week and see...

I have a Roman name for my second persona which I considered late
Empire, and it was registered with no problem.  I'm wondering if the
time of earlier "order" names will be a problem?

The only stuff I found for Optio and Optionis while Googling was
computer programing, a Pentax camera, a research company, and a Star
Wars gaming site.
--
Andrea / Maridonna
Why buy while they die? Adopt a rescue or shelter pet today.