[ANSTHRLD] Re: Optio

Donnchadh donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us
Tue Sep 7 16:14:55 PDT 2004

> The intent is for an award rather than an order. The award confers a
> military rank as well as an armigerous rank. The military rank is "Optio"
> (essentially an NCO or Sergeant level position).

Picking a nit here. According to the website I found http://www.redrampant.com/roma/legiorank.html
The Optio was a junior officer and the Princepales were the NCOs

Optiones
 2nd or sometimes 3rd in command of a centurybecause some Centuries had a 2nd Centurian then an Optio. The Optiocarried a staff called a hastile - with an ornamental knob at top. In battle he was stationed at the rear of the advancing unit.

Princepales
 These were the non commisioned officers appointed to aid the officers.

Lord Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair
Sable Storm Pursuivant
Honorable Brotherhood of Brewers, Mazers, and Vintners