[ANSTHRLD] Registerable Order Names (was: Zodiacus weighs in on this week's award discussions)

kobrien@texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Fri Sep 10 15:31:32 PDT 2004

> Crowns are not born knowing what the precise procedure
> for the creation of an award "ought" to be (something
> that, as far as I know, isn't clearly defined anywhere
> and is probably a little subjective anyway). They're

I think you've hit on the crux of the problem here.  In my experience, heralds
mostly want to make people happy.  (I've met very few heralds who were
purposefully problems.)  In most cases, those of us participating in this
thread have been involved in one (or usually more) cases of trying to come up
with a registerable order/award/group name that folks are already emotionally
attached to.  And we didn't like seeing people's feelings get hurt by having
to change from a name that simply was not registerable.

(By the way, Ansteorra is mostly decent at coming up with names.  Not always
correct on the first try, but usually in the ballpark of correct.  Some of the
order names I had to return as Pelican Queen of Arms were constructions that I
don't think would even get thought of down here.)

We want to prevent the hurt feelings that go with unregisterable award names.
The question is how do we do that.  I think your suggestion of a letter of
introduction is a good one.  Since you mentioned other issues that crowns have
to figure out, it almost seems like there needs to be a binder of one-page
question & answer topics (kinda like a "So, you won crown, here's info you
will need at some point" kit; actually, with today's technology, that would
make a good private website).

Anyway, I see the discussions here as really being 2 discussions:

- how do we get registerable order names as soon as possible
- a general discussion of the Ansteorran award system

(I can definitely see the second item having the potential to generate lots of
conflicting feelings among folks.)

> I *never* as Queen received any communication of this
> sort, and didn't know enough yet to ask for it. In
> retrospect, I would've *loved* to have had a little
> intro letter from all my officers that gave me a heads
> up on the things I might need to know, but wouldn't
> necessarily know to ask.

I suspect that folks don't want torque off the royals, or be seen as telling
the royals what to do.  That may be a good bit of the reticence in contacting
the crown.  Or it simply could be that folks assumed that the crown would go
to the kingdom officer (here, Star Principal Herald) for questions in that
area.

Mari