[ANSTHRLD] Zodiacus weighs in on this week's award discussions

Paul Matthews pem1968 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 9 21:15:25 PDT 2004

So where do those of us who are heralds AND rattan fighters belong??

Just kidding...as a herald and a fighter who knows just enough to get into too much trouble I do realize there is SO much more to learn and I'd love to see a class dealing with the history of our awards and why they were created. Knowing this would allow me to better advise my local B&B as to which awards are appropriate.

Personally, I don't think a new award is needed where local unit organization could fill the same purpose. Unfortunately, I believe, we as a society, are becoming a "merit badge" based group.  I don't know what we can do to change this....maybe better education of what exactly the awards are for and why they were created.

Maybe I'm just becoming an elitist but I believe the awards should be held to a higher standard for meeting the criteria and not handed out just because someone has shown up for the last year or two. I know I do not have the experience and knowledge of most on this list but I think something should be done to help educate those who create and bestow awards.

Malcolm MacLein

Once and Future (not so) Silent Trumpet Pursuvient