[ANSTHRLD] Zodiacus weighs in on this week's award discussions

Etienne de St. Amaranth star at ansteorra.org
Fri Sep 10 08:41:09 PDT 2004

At 06:22 AM 9/10/2004, Alden wrote:
>Something I'm more confused/surprised about goes back one reign to Miguel
>and Conal, who created the Award of the Sable Shield.  This award is given
>for a MUNDANE reason, and has nothing to do with anything done in the
>Society.  I don't recall anyone saying anything about this award.  Maybe
>because it was created at a time we were all feeling rather patriotic
>towards our country (that being the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA), but there it is.

I'll let the list weigh in on the majority of the questions you wrote but I
will clarify one thing here.  The "Award" of the Sable Shield is NOT an
Ansteorran award.  There is no constitution, there is no intent that there
will be one.  The use of "Award" when Miguel and Conal began giving those
is a mis-nomer (does that word have a hyphen?).  Miguel and Conal, by edict
and not by change of kingdom law, made a royal favor that they could
present for this specific reason.  This is the same as the Crown giving
someone an actual Medieval coin, or trim, or coin of the realm for really
impressive actions or whatever.  Disregard the "award" on the Sable Shield,
this is simply a mark of royal favor/recognition and not a structured award.

Etienne
Star