[ANSTHRLD] Zodiacus weighs in on this week's award discussions

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Sep 10 11:09:38 PDT 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Jay Rudin <rudin at ev1.net> wrote:
> Alden wrote:
> > Any and all awards, be they existing, or made up on the spot, are
> > completely within the authority of the Crown to give as they
> > please.  Of course it is a good idea for the Crown to consult with
> > Their heralds, but I don't think it's a requirement.
>
> Nobody denies that.

I deny it.  Corpora puts a restriction on award names, and since it's
present it can't have been intended to be entirely null and void, so
that means that there's some intended restriction on kings and queens,
even if I can't quite tell the scope (perhaps just limited to not
using a returned award name?).

Further, not checking with the herald in charge of awards is foolish
and unheard-of in any other office, as well as a denigration and
insult to the lady officer and the office.  For example, would the
king and queen reduce armor requirements on youth combat on their own,
or after checking only with the kingdom marshal (great officer) and
not with the youth marshal deputies?  Would the king and queen make a
new requirement for children without consultation, or put the
requirement on the kingdom minister of children (deputy) after
checking only with the kingdom hospitalier (great officer)?  Change
the requirements for waterbearing (deputy) after asking only the
chiurgeon (great officer)?  Change the Gulf Wars A&S rules after
talking only to Trimaris and Meridies, without the kingdom minister of
A&S and the Gulf Wars A&S deputy being consulted?

I heartily dislike the notion that too many brass hats have that they
can make up any award and insignia they like and maybe ask the heralds
afterwards if they feel generous.  Especially when they'd never do
anything like it for any other officer.

Then again, perhaps I shouldn't be reading now about Thomas a Becket
vis a vis Henry II -- it's bad for bile production.  (Henry II had a
good point on the criminal clerks issue and the ancient customs of the
realm, and Thomas was a moronic stuck-up wanker.)

Danihel de Lindocolina
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com