[ANSTHRLD] Zodiacus weighs in on this week's award discussions

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Mon Sep 13 15:53:09 PDT 2004

> > It's pretty
> > confusing for non-heralds to keep track of which
> > heralds do what, because all the titles are in code. I
> > know what someone with a really descriptive title does
> > (like "regional treasurer" or "archery marshall"), but
> > I can't tell an Obelisk from an Asterisk....
>
> Sara has an excellent point here.  I don't know what most of these titles
> mean anymore either.  The jobs attached to the titles have changed so much
> over the years.  The only one I can think of that's remained the same is
> Zodiacus....

The list of registered heraldic titles is at:
http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/docs/heraldictitles.html

This list is not up to date, but it's fairly close.  The changes I know of are:

- Orle is now actively used (so the "No" in the curr column would get removed)

- Rowel is now in use, but for "Commentary, External" or maybe
simply "Commentary" - Etienne?

- And there were a couple of scribal titles registered in the last year or so,
right?  (I found Golden Scroll Pursuivant & Scroll Pursuivant, reg. 06/2003)

- Also, Kathri's personal heraldic title (Cross Flury Herald, reg. 11/02,
transferred 12/03).

The titles in the list on our webpage generally include an indication of what
each heraldic title is used for.  Maybe we could put a link to it on the FAQ
page to make it easier to find.  Is that a useful idea?

Mari