[ANSTHRLD] Zodiacus weighs in on this week's award discussions

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Sep 10 11:19:04 PDT 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, -=The Seamus <theseamus at gmail.com> wrote:
> When a King turns to you and says...
>
> "I need to come up with something right now because I want to."
>
> You just do it...

Not always.  There are times when it's your duty to say, "Your
Majesty, this is madness".  Or, as Robin of Gilwell pointed out, when
you (a man in fealty) pry your king's fingers out of an opponent's
helm grill even though your king is screaming at you to let go of him.
There are rules in this game, and there are imprudent things that it's
your duty to counsel against.  (I'm not addressing the Sable Shield
here, but making a more general point.)

The key, of course, is knowing when to do it.  McDaniel's Second Law
is vaguely applicable here: "if you don't know whether you can get
away with breaking a rule, you can't."

OK, the other key is, having resolved to do it, having the guts to go
thru with it.  (As Robin knows too well, having talked to me on the
phone for an hour or two when I was faced with such a situation.
Fortunately, I had the luxury of Robin access and of thinking about it
for a while.)

Danihel Lincolinum
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com