[ANSTHRLD] Zodiacus weighs in on this week's award discussions

Zodiacus Herald zodiacus at ansteorra.org
Mon Sep 13 15:34:28 PDT 2004

Countess Sara wrote, in response to (I'm not sure whom):

??> Further, not checking with the herald in charge of
??> awards

> Which is who? I know Serena does award texts. But is
> someone officially in charge of "awards," whatever
> that means? That's a sincere question.

Good catch, Sara; there is no "herald in charge of awards", other than
perhaps Star him/her-self.  Zodiacus is in charge of keeping track of
awards, and sometimes also knows about the history and philosophy of the
structure, but is not "in charge of awards".

However, there are quite educated senior heralds available, within and
without the warrated officer setup, for consultation on such matters as the
advisability of the creation of a award/order.

> It's pretty
> confusing for non-heralds to keep track of which
> heralds do what, because all the titles are in code. I
> know what someone with a really descriptive title does
> (like "regional treasurer" or "archery marshall"), but
> I can't tell an Obelisk from an Asterisk....

Sara has an excellent point here.  I don't know what most of these titles
mean anymore either.  The jobs attached to the titles have changed so much
over the years.  The only one I can think of that's remained the same is
Zodiacus....

> Why? Why is it not reasonable to direct a question to
> a Greater Officer, entrust them to consult with the
> appropriate deputy, and report back their findings?
> Delegation is a good thing, right?

That is true if the Greater Officer is permitted so to do.  That permission
is not always given.

> I think the problem here is lack of information and
> lack of communication, not inconsiderate or frivolous
> royalty.

I agree with Sara's statement here 100%.  I never intended to imply
otherwise.  However, that lack *is* a two-way problem; it cannot rest soley
on the heralds.

--Serena, sunburned Zodiacus