[ANSTHRLD] Request for information re arms and award of arms

Mistress Bronwen mistressbronwen at solhaven.com
Wed Apr 20 06:30:19 PDT 2005

Medb wrote:
> Year before last, when I was taking money at Heralds' Point, I was treated
> a fairly extensive review of Meridian sumptuary laws.  I don't know how
> much or even if they enforce them, but it was an eye opener for me.  I
> have only lived in Ansteorra, so my knowledge is very limited on such
> things in other kingdoms.

Some Kingdoms have written Sumptuary Law, and some have oral traditions.
Both of these tend to vary between Kingdoms such that (for example) some
Kingdoms do not allow metal to be worn on the head at all unless the wearer
in a Peer, while in others anyone may wear on their heads just about
anything they wish.

I tend to prefer the written form simply because that means there is a place
to go and look up the rules, rather than running afoul of unwritten
custom...which can be, and often is, just as much of a cultural faux pas.

Meridian Sumptuary Law has altered some in the recent past, but remains in
essence the same. It is included in Kingdom Law at
http://www.meridies.org/senschal/Kingdom_Law_as_of_April_2005.doc
I believe these sumptuary laws have existed in written form for a very long
time, and remember them being in existence when I joined the SCA back in the
late 80s.

Daniel wrote:
> It would not, however, surprise me in the slightest to learn that in
> Meridies only paid members of SCA Inc can give or wear favors, that
> anyone below grant level can give or bear one only as a piece of cloth
> smaller than 20 square inches, and only peers are permitted to use
> beading.

Yes....but only on alternate Tuesdays when one is wearing green, facing
south, and juggling llamas.

~

Bronwen

"Quod Excogitem Sum"..."I Am What I Can Imagine"
[Per pale sable and argent, an antelope statant and in chief a pearled
coronet counterchanged]

~