[ANSTHRLD] Circlets

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 13:29:05 PDT 2005

> Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:31:02 -0500
> From: Christine Huse <casadevaca at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: [ANSTHRLD] Circlets
> To: Joseph Percer <jpercer at gmail.com>
> Cc: "'Heralds List, Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA,Inc.'"
> 	<heralds at ansteorra.org>
> Joseph Percer wrote:
> >Maria,
> >I can't get the url to pull up the picture of the circlet, however I will
> >say that Ansteorran Sumptuary laws do not regulate metal bands under 1/2
> >inch in width. If it is 1/2 inch in width or greater, it is considered a
> >coronet, and you need the necessary title to wear it.
> >Jayme
> >
> Here's the actual link location...sorry, it didn't work for you.
> http://www.renstore.com/mmRENSTORE/Images/csd72751.jpg
> Maria

Kingdom Law can be found online at Ansteorra website:
You want to search for Sumptuary Laws, Section 8: Fillets:
(and I quote:)
A. Any member of the populace may wear a metal fillet not to exceed 1/2 inch in width.
B. Any metal-looking band across the front of the head is a coronet, if it exceeds the stated
dimension or is decorated in any of the ways noted above.

My thoughts:
As to A: Some years back, Sir Kief, then Star Principal, had the sumptuary laws updated to allow
up to 1/2 in. fillets, as there were so many nice metal patterns available.  Ansteorra is not a
kingdom that requires you the have an AoA before able to wear a 'metal' fillet, but it's available
for any person, regardless of rank, so long as it's 1/2 in. or less, metal color does not matter.

As to B: You are not allowed to have any projections from a general populace fillet, ie, no points
above the metal line, such as holding pearls.  Nor can you have engrailing, embattled, dovetails
or strawberry leaves.

Next, take a look at the Laurel Wreath rules.  Generally Laurel wreaths are to be non-metalic, I
hear there has been some discussion about allowing metalic leaves for Laurel's, though it's not
currently passed kingdom law.

The fillet you are considering, to my knowledge, is not a historic SCA age design, more
art-nouveau in style- Lord of the Rings-ish, with the whispy vine line; but that is not a
restriction to having it in the SCA.  It also appears to be around 1/2 wide, or less in places; so
should be ok.  Most Baronial or above coronets don't tend to have openwork wire designs, most are
solid metal bands with embellishing, but Drachenstein Treasures is now making an openwork baronial
coronet....though they tend to be 1in. in width.

The only concern I might have is that the fillet has leaf-like designs and some may consider that
a Laurel, though I don't think it's a problem, you may want to run it by some Laurels and see if
they have issues.   Next, you will want to wear it with the small metal twist in middle-front, you
need to wear that down, else it maybe considered a projections, as a Viscounty coronet.

I personally think it's fine.
Hillary Greenslade, Stargate