[ANSTHRLD] Circlets

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Thu Apr 28 11:28:57 PDT 2005

Well, it's not clearly a coronet, but it looks to be over 1/2" wide.  It's
not a Laurel wreath, but does have two prominent leaves.  Except for the
question of width, I suspect that it's technically clear of any Ansteorran
rules.

It's certainly clear of anything I've ever seen from our period.  Even
before I traced it down on the renstore.com website, I said that this piece
is clearly Lord of the Rings Elven Princess.  The website says, "From a
renaissance (sic) lady to an elvin (sic) princes[s]", but I can't identify
any Renaissance culture that this is compatible with.  Its period is the
Lord of the Rings movie and the Alan Howe conceptual LOTR art, and as near
as I can tell, nothing else.  It is certainly intended to symbolize high
rank, since it is a style worn by Arwen, Galadriel and Elrond, but nobody of
lesser rank.

My herald's eye says that it's probably illegal, since it's over 1/2" wide,
but that you should ask the Star Principal herald for a clear ruling.  My
aesthetic eye says that it's non-period, and does not go with any SCA
costume.  Also it's patterned on a symbol of high rank in an extremely
well-known fantasy film.

Renaissance Store and Chivalry Sports have many excellent, authentic
products that are great for SCA use, but this isn't one of them.  Sorry.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin