[ANSTHRLD] Lost Submissions

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Aug 3 11:39:03 PDT 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Charles Ó Floinn <Tons at raf662bravo.com> wrote:
> Now on to another question.  I am making a Heralds Tabbard for my
> Shire.  I have been listening to comments for several months now and
> believe I need to directly ask one question of this august
> group. (yes, just one).  The College of Heralds crossed trumpets
> emblem.  Some have told me it can go on anything a herald wears,
> others have told me that it only rightfully belongs on a item used
> by the College specifically.

I would say that the crossed trumpets should only go onto something
only if it is used for heraldic purposes.

For a tabard for an SCA branch, the best thing is to have the branch's
arms front, back, and sleeves.

The concept of a "heralds' badge" is out of period, so I like to
discourage it.  If you want a generic tabard, though, you could indeed
put the crossed trumpets front, back, and sleeves.

Please do NOT mix and match.  All period heralds' tabards and surcoats
I've seen have the same design on each part.  And please do not do
quartering: that would mean that you're the herald of the heir of the
shire and the College of Arms, and I do *not* want to visualize THAT.

Dankyn "unless I have the video distribution rights" de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com