[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic Faux Pas

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sun Aug 7 18:25:50 PDT 2005

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Charles Ó Floinn <Tons at raf662bravo.com> wrote:
> "Tim McDaniel" <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Charles Ó Floinn <Tons at raf662bravo.com> wrote:
> > > Now on to another question.  I am making a Heralds Tabbard for my
> > > Shire.  I have been listening to comments for several months now and
> > > believe I need to directly ask one question of this august
> > > group. (yes, just one).  The College of Heralds crossed trumpets
> > > emblem.  Some have told me it can go on anything a herald wears,
> > > others have told me that it only rightfully belongs on a item used
> > > by the College specifically.
> >
> > I would say that the crossed trumpets should only go onto something
> > only if it is used for heraldic purposes.

Which wasn't one of the two choices, of course.

> > For a tabard for an SCA branch, the best thing is to have the branch's
> > arms front, back, and sleeves.
> >
> > The concept of a "heralds' badge" is out of period, so I like to
> > discourage it.  If you want a generic tabard, though, you could indeed
> > put the crossed trumpets front, back, and sleeves.
> >
> > Please do NOT mix and match.  All period heralds' tabards and surcoats
> > I've seen have the same design on each part.  And please do not do
> > quartering: that would mean that you're the herald of the heir of the
> > shire and the College of Arms, and I do *not* want to visualize THAT.
>
> I am no longer making the heraldic tabard for my shire.

Um, did I offend you?

I didn't mean to imply that having a crossed-trumpets tabard was bad.
While I would encourage the branch arms on the branch's own tabard, I
can see uses for the crossed trumpets.
- If the group's arms are too difficult to sew.  *grin*
- If you want a tabard that you can take to other groups' events.  In
  an ideal world, they'd have enough of their branch tabards to fit
  all their field / camp heralds -- but that ideal is rarely achieved.
  Or, alternately, you can choose not to wear any tabard (if you yell
  something official at people, they can figure out you're a herald.)
  But having a crossed trumpets tabard gives something to wear.

Danyell de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com