[ANSTHRLD] Name info / check please

Mistress Bronwen mistressbronwen at solhaven.com
Tue Dec 20 07:54:47 PST 2005

Surnames of Scotland; Black; P.522; s.n. MacKean; has no dates shown earlier
than Dovenaldi Mackane 1329, and Donald McCane or McKane 1480.

The Surnames of Ireland; McLysaght; P.171; s.n. 171; s.n. Mac Kean Mac E{a'}in
(E{a'}in is a variant or Eoin, John). See also under Muckian.

Ibid; s.n. (Mac) Keane; Mac Cahan. Mac Cath{a'}in. A family of west Clare who
were co-arbs of St. Senan. Map Clare.

Ibid; P.224; s.n. (O) Muckian, Muckeen. {O'} Mochaidhean. Owing to the
similarity of sound when the prefix O is dropped this essentially Co. Monaghan
name has often been changed to MacKean. In medieval times the sept held a
leading position in the baront of Cremorne in Co. Monaghan.

Irish Names & Surnames; Woulfe; P.319; s.n. Mac Aodh{a'}in - M'Kiane, M'Kian,
MacKeane, Keane, Kane; 'son of Aodh{a'}n.
<M'Kiane> and M'Kian> appear to be period anglicizations. <MacKeane>, <Keane>
and <Kane> appear to be modern forms.

I still really see no cites (at least in these sources) of the anglicized forms
<MacKean> <McKean> <MacKeane> or <McKeane> during our period.
~

Bronwen

"Quod Excogitem Sum"..."I Am What I Can Imagine"
[Per pale sable and argent, an antelope statant and in chief a pearled coronet
counterchanged]

~