[ANSTHRLD] question on a cross charge

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Mon Dec 5 14:56:23 PST 2005

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Alden Drake <alden_drake at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I am looking to find if a "cross frettee" is a registerable charge.
> A potential submitter would like to use one, with the artwork based
> on the example found at
> http://www.theweebsite.com/heraldry/charges_crosses.html

That does not appear to be a reliable page, to go by the Pict Dict.  A
cross gammadion is a swastika, for example; their "cross gammadion"
appears to be a version of a cross moline disjointed / voided.  Their
"cross fleury" is a cross of Calatrava == cross of Aviz (a highly
ornamented form of a cross fleury).

> The charge is located in the bottom portion of crosses (on white
> shields) - third row down, seventh column from the left.

That location scheme doesn't work.  The images fill the width
available, so as many are placed on a row as fit in the window size,
so someone with a different browser size has a different shield there.
(On my screen, for example, the shield is row 3 column 7 is a
swastika.)  Better to point out that it's identified by name on the
top part of the screen.

What they call "frett{e'}e" in the upper section is "a Bowen cross, a
Bowen knot turned crosswise, with its loops made angular.  It was
originally thought to be a Society invention, and the name is original
to the SCA; but it turns out to have been cited in Elvin".  (Pic Dic,
natch.)  It was registered without comment 7/99, 2/00, 6/00, 4/04, ...
so it's undoubtedly registerable.

You should get a copy of the Pictorial Dictionary from the SCA stock
clerk.  It's a great source for an SCA armory herald to have.

Danihel de Lindocolina
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com