[ANSTHRLD] New Award Discussion

Bill Butler chemistbb3 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 16:39:16 PST 2005

Optio, like a Thistle, is an AoA level award, the
others you mentioned are non-armigous and would not be
changed.  The closing of the Optio was read into law
in Their Majesties Court last weekend.

William

--- Tom Johnson <tdj_ent at hotmail.com> wrote:

---------------------------------

Greetings,

I have a question, you explained the relationship to
the Optio and the desire to be like a Sable Thistle
with the varying areas.  Here is the question, what
would be the relationship betweenthe new award and
Sable Falcon or King's Archer, etc.?  Would it be
separate or would it emcompass these awards as well?
These is not an agruement towards the awrd just trying
to define the scope, which gives better understanding
for name and badge.

Thomas

e>From: "Etienne de St. Amaranth" <star at ansteorra.org>
>To: heralds at ansteorra.org
>Subject: [ANSTHRLD] New Award Discussion
>Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:09:19 -0600
>
>At the last King's Roundtable two items related to
awards were
>announced.  First, TRM Ulsted and Cateau have closed
the Award of
>the Optio, previously discussed on this list.
Second, it is TRM
>intent to open an award in the place of the Optio
that is inclusive
>of all marshallate activities (it will effectively
absorb the
>Optio).  To be specific, this award would be an AoA
level award (no
>orders) much like the Sable Thistle or Sable Comet.
The charter for
>the award would specify the area of expertise for
which the award is
>being given (ie - a Sable Thistle in Period Cooking
would equate to
>a <New Award> in Chivalric Combat scenario).
>
>The areas I have heard specifically mentioned as
covered by this
>award would include:  Chivalric Combat, Rapier
Combat, Archery,
>Thrown Weapons, Siege Engines, and Equestrian
Activities (Equestrian
>is under the marshallate).  That list and the exact
wording is
>certainly subject to change at the discretion of the
Crown.  But
>remember that this is not specific to one marshallate
activity, it
>is for all of them (and theoretically could be given
more than once
>for different areas.
>
>So, what do I need from this list?
>
>First off, if you disagree with the Crown's intent or
actions, then
>this is not the forum for that discussion.  The forum
for your
>opinion is a personal letter to the Crown or a quiet
conversation if
>you are granted Their ear.  This is the Crown's
intent and,
>therefore, my marching orders.
>
>Second, the Crown is directly soliciting input on
what to name (and
>therefore related insignia for) the award.  This is
the direct
>opportunity of the college to contribute in the
naming and creation
>of an award.  If you have a logic for how your idea
fits into the
>awards structure of Ansteorra, please explain it; you
do not have to
>be right but you may generate discussion for others
with your train
>of thought.  If you can tie your suggestion to
historical awards or
>orders or period practice, then include your
documentation.

>His Majesty expressed some interest in maintaining
the AoA level
>format of a "Sable <item>" to remain consistent with
the Sable
>Comet, Sable Crane, and Sable Thistle.  If you have a
really good
>idea, the "Sable" part may not be a concrete
requirement but at this
>point it is desirable.  If you have suggestions on an
award name,
(star at ansteorra.org &
>zodiacus at ansteorra.org) and include your insignia
suggestion if you
>have one and it is not immediately evident.  We will
be collecting
>the recommendations.  If you want to post a
suggestion to the list
>because you want commentary (and maybe a conflict
check), please do
>so but copy us as well.  Zodiacus and I will review
and collate
>suggestions and bring them to the Crown for a
decision.

>Some people have already emailed me ideas, or shared
them verbally
>at Roundtable or over dinner.  Please add to the
ideas for this new
>award.  Right now, consider this a brainstorming
period.  We'll