[ANSTHRLD] RE: Sable Steel

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.com
Wed Feb 2 17:57:35 PST 2005

Roana said:
> While I like the name "Sable Steel" how many people
> know what a "furison" is much less can recognise
> the charge?  To my 12 year old it looked like a
> crown.

If you had never had the Iris explained to you, you might
reasonably be at a loss over an award that is apparently named
after a flower having a rainbow as its symbol.  If you don't know
what a fleam is, would you still know the chiurgeon's badge?

People may not know what a furison is *at first* but with a little
explanation they'll get it.  And a lot of SCA people know what a
fire-steel is and may have seen or used one.

If you go to my article about fire-steels at
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/fire.htm#FireSteels and take a look
at the different types (and these are just the ones the Vikings
used) then the shape of the heraldic "furison" charge is much
easier to understand.

::GUNNVOR::