[ANSTHRLD] Sable Dragon

Paul E. Kiefer, Jr. rapierman at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 14:52:42 PST 2005

http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/cgi-bin/oanda_desc.cgi?p=DRAGON%3asable%3a1

> Dragons are very much an SCA armory cliché and, as I understand it,
> four-legged dragons do not appear in English heraldry until the late
> 16th
> century and I think are fairly late elsewhere also.  Wyverns
> (two-legged
> dragons) were used in English heraldry from the early 14th century,
> but
> they're folded into the sable dragons above and are likewise heavily
> used.
>
> I suspect that trying to come up with a badge using a sable dragon
> would be
> a challenge.
>
> ::GUNNVOR::

Cliche' it may be, but it works.  The closest to "(Fieldless) A dragon
sable" was still 2 CDs away.  Additionally, how many other objects do
you know that would represent the Ansteorran fighting spirit and still
be generic enough to appeal to all martial disciplines?