[ANSTHRLD] New Award Discussion

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Wed Feb 2 12:39:33 PST 2005

Mari, for "Sable Cross ... a conflict-checking hell", they were
referring to the insignia.  About the only way to make it worse would
be to include a chevron, sword, and/or lions.

Sable Chevron?  Or does that have too much of a modern feel of
"Private First Class"?

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 nweders at mail.utexas.edu <heralds at ansteorra.org> wrote:
> What about something like Sable Nova?
>
> It means new ...
>
> The armory might be nice as well.  One could do a black star in base
> or one enflamed or some such.

Like "new", it's an adjective and requires a noun in period, so far as
I can tell.  For "Nova" as a noun meaning "new star", the earliest OED
citation is from 1877, citing Herschel, and 18th C astronomer.

Tycho Brahe wrote "De Nova Stella", 'About the New Star', in 1573, the
year after a nova in Cassiopeia.  I don't think a color fits in too
well, especially a French-ish color in a Latin phrase.  A name expert
would have to say whether it's registerable.  There was an Order of
the Star in France in The Calamitous Fourteenth Century, so I don't
think it's out of the question.

> If you wanted something man-made maybe something like a Sable
> Caltrop. It's a small thing (four pointed spike that was thrown,
> made of metal, had sharp points.

I don't think caltrops are too popular with equestrians, though
fighters stepped on caltrops too.

Danyll de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com