[ANSTHRLD] New Award Discussion

Tom Johnson tdj_ent at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 2 18:40:06 PST 2005

Here is my two cents on these.
          Sable Star on the surface sounds good, but as a fighter something
that takes the star as a symbol other than general Ansteorran is not a good
idea.  Beginning fighters wear the Ansteorran Star on Tabors because they do
not have a household, a device or other marking to say where thay belong.
Even established households or groups wear it on the back of tabors.  If we
made the Sable Star an award then only those whom had earned the award could
wear it into battle.  I personal would not want to change this idea, if you
fight for Ansteorra you can wear an Ansteorran Star.
          Sable Tower/Keep I like a lot.  This seems to symbolize that not
only are you proven in an Art of the Marshallate of your choice but, you are
a safekeeper of all those whom choose to call Ansteorra home.  Defender of
not only the Crown but the Populace that dwells within those walls.
          Sable Ring is good but, it might be a little too simple.  It might
clear conflict but what does it end up looking like, a black cicle on a
yellow field?
          Sable Steel becomes a little confusing.  Are those of the award
the steel itself, welders of steel, makers of steel, or harden as or by
steel?  Maybe all of the above.  As to the furison, when you know what it is
it sounds and looks good, if you don't it is just a funny looking thing.
          Sable Boar or any other animal lends itself to more specific
awards.  A horse head for equestrians is good but a boar seems a bit of a
streach.  As an archer a boar is something to shoot at, not wear.

These are just my thoughts.
Thomas Quilliam