[ANSTHRLD] request for help documenting German name

Doug Bell debell1 at txcyber.com
Wed Jan 12 22:18:48 PST 2005

I doubt Armillary has any books on German that aren't already in my library.

To give you some idea of the task:

Eule
It's not in Bahlow, Socin, or Brechenmacher.
It's not in any SCA LoARs or the SCA Ordinary or St. Gabriels articles or
reports.
Ranging further
Google turns it up as a modern German surname and it also shows up as a
given name no earlier than the 19th century.  This is a known post period
practice, usually from the mothers maiden name.

The LDS IGI has it as a Dutch or Austrian surname.

Jayme try the Dutch book and see if it is listed.

Bahlow does give Euler as a occupational surname from 1598.  It is from
Middle High German 'Ulner' and doesn't look to be any help as a given name.
The submitter may have seen it in a book as a surname and the herald assumed
that was enough to register it as a given name.

At this point I would recommend checking Yonge to see if Eule is a true
given name in any language - modern or period.
We have to have some idea of the language to have any chance of finding
something.

Haginbald
It concerns me that this doesn't show up ANYWHERE as a village or place in
Germany or anywhere else in the world for that matter.
Simply translating a modern name into period German and hoping it is a place
name is very chancy.

Socin does have page 317 Otte von Hagendal 1297 and the spelling variation
Hagindal.
The same sources listed above for Eule also yielded nothing.
My Google couldn't find the name outside of references to the submitter in
the SCA.  I suspect this name can be constructed as a plausible place name
with stunt heraldry.  That would take quite a bit of searching in a lot of
unindexed books written in German.

If you can think of any other place to look please suggest it.

This looks like it ends up in the stunt doc name basket unless someone can
find more info.

Magnus