[ANSTHRLD] Name Submission

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Fri Jul 29 11:56:56 PDT 2005

> I have a member wanting to submit her name.  However I have
> two questions I
> wish to ask.  The first is she has found the family name she
> wants in a
> recently published history book.
>
> War, Politics, and the Irish of Leinster, 1156-1606  by Emmett O'Byrne
>
> There is a map showing the family's land holdings as well as several
> different written sections on their dealings in the area.
>
> Is this acceptable for documentation?  or do we need to look
> elsewhere.

It depends. Are the names obviously modern forms, or is it a reproduction of
an in-period map (or otherwise uses period spellings?) Even if not, it may
still be useful. Can you tell us what family name in particular she's
looking at?

> Also I'm having trouble finding her given name Roxana.  Help?

That's a good Greek name. Actually, it's a Greek version of a Persian
name... Not something you'd find up in Ireland, alas.

-Emma