[ANSTHRLD] Da'ud notation

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Jul 29 09:01:29 PDT 2005

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Maridonna <maridonna at maridonna.com> wrote:
> I'm using Da'ud notation here -
> Geirr Bassi Haraldsson. The Old Norse Name  Fleck, G., Studia Marklandic
> Series (Olney, Maryland: Yggsalr Press, 1977),
> p.9 Bru'nn, p.12 Jo'hann.  <Brunn Jo'hansson>.

I'm afraid that that's not Da'ud notation.  Da'ud notation puts the
representation of an accented character in curly braces, {..}.  That's
so you can tell the difference between
     D{a'}ud == Dáud, four characters long, where the second character
     is "LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH ACUTE"
and
     Da{'u}d == Daùd, four characters long, where the third character
     is "LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH GRAVE"
and
     Da'ud, five characters, the middle of which happens to be an
     apostrophe

Da'ud notation is simple for Western European languages.  For example,
     {'a}  à  à
     {a'}  á  á
     {a^}  â  â
     {a~}  ã  ã
     {a:}  ä  ä
     {ao}  å  å
     {ae}  æ  æ
     {c,}  ç  ç

A grave accent, one that goes like \, is represented as {'x} rather
than the more expected {x`}, using a backquote (usually upper left on
a US keyboard).  That's because, in some fonts, it's hard to see the
difference between apostrophe versus backquote, ' versus `.

" is often used for umlaut, so {a"} is often used as a synonym for
{a:}.  (That causes a problem for one Hungarian character, of course.)

The only two I can think of that are not really intuitive from those
examples are
     {dh}  ð  ð
     {th}  þ  þ

I believe that the Academy of Saint Gabriel uses / and \, without
curly braces, to indicate acute and grave accents.  I don't know what
they do about other accents, nor how they represent LATIN
SMALL/CAPITAL LETTER O WITH STROKE, nor how they distinguish slash for
alternatives (as in SMALL/CAPITAL) from slash as acute accent.

Dannet "a special character" de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com