[ANSTHRLD] College of Heralds Website

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sun Jun 12 00:49:18 PDT 2005

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, Ronda Roberts <rivyn at msn.com> wrote:
> How about some of these?:
>
> Banneret
> Bezant
> Anchoret
> Annusus
> Armatoloi
> Armigerous
> Chartophylax
> Cursarius

(Please trim the test to which you're replying to the minimum
necessary to establish context, especially the redundant signatures
appended by the list software.  It can also help to put your reply
after the quote establishing context: my first thought on seeing the
above was "OK, what about them?  Why are you listing random words?".)

The CoA Rules for Submission says that all items submitted must be
period in style (with certain exceptions granted for grandfathering,
elements ruled to be SCA-compatible, et cetera).  For heraldic titles,
it says

    iii.  Heraldic Titles - Heraldic titles must follow the patterns
     of period heraldic titles.

     These are generally drawn from surnames ("Chandos" Herald,
     "Percy" Herald), place-names ("Windsor" Herald, "Calais"
     Pursuivant, "Sicily" Herald), names of heraldic charges
     ("Crosslet" Herald, "Estoile Volant" Pursuivant, "Noir Lyon"
     Pursuivant), names of orders of chivalry ("Garter" King of Arms),
     and mottos ("Ich Dien" Pursuivant, "Esperance" Pursuivant).

I don't know what most of your proposals mean, so please explain them.
Please also explain how each one fits one of the known patterns of
heraldic titles.  (I can see only one that fits a pattern: a "bezant"
is a roundel Or, so it fits the "heraldic charges" pattern.)

Danielis Lincolnia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com