[ANSTHRLD] Youth Boffer class name updates

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Sat Jun 25 23:05:42 PDT 2005

Daniel wrote a very good explanation about why naming children's age groups
cannot be done in a period fashion, because we have no period examples.

I am only quibbling with one histprical fact:

>> We considered:
<snip>
>> Skunk, Opossum, Armadillo, Wolf (definately a joke!)
>> Meridies uses: Bear, Ram, Wolf

> Further, the animal levels make me think of Boy Scouts, which
> date from the 1800s.

1900s, actually.  The Boy Scouts started in 1908, in England.  The Wolf Cubs
were the first age-based group in the Scouts to be identified by an animal
name.  (Changing it to Cub Scouts with Wolf, Bear and Lion ranks came much
later.)

The Boy Scouts were founded by Sir Robert Baden-Powell, the first Baron
Baden-Powell of Gilwell.  (I'm not making this up, you know.)

> Unless someone comes up with some period-like names, I'd advise
> sticking with the existing names for lack of anything better:

Exactly.  The current names are meaningful to our ears.  I don't see any
point in making our terms less identifiable, just to mimic the Boy Scouts.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin