[ANSTHRLD] Graphics, please?

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Wed Mar 2 12:40:09 PST 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Alden Drake <alden_drake at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Keep in mind that an estoile is a different charge from a mullet.
> I believe the default estoile has six wavy points, while the default
> mullet has five points (basic star).

Yup.

> Mullets can also be made of more or less than five points and can be
> pierced too.  I suppose an estoile could be pierced too, but I
> haven't seen one.  Not sure, but I think estoiles and mullets
> (particularly mullets of six points) may need to be conflict checked
> against eachother. And there's also the compass star.

In early period, estoiles and mullets were artistic variants of each
other.  I suspect that estoiles can be pierced just as mullets can be.
The latest case was in December 1993, when Richenza the Confused
registered one; since it was registered without comment, it was
probably not seen as problematic.  Estoiles with more or less than six
points appears problematic, q.v.

A mullet gets a CD versus a standard estoile.

    Mullets of five (straight) points and estoiles of six (wavy) rays
    are both standard period charges, and the SCA gives a CD between
    them, but an estoile of five (wavy) rays is not a period
    charge. Per RfS X.4.e, armorial difference involving a non-period
    charge must be determined based on whether "its shape in normal
    depiction is significantly different" from the charge with which
    it is being compared. Because the rays of estoiles are often drawn
    with very shallow waves, it does not seem appropriate to give a CD
    on purely visual grounds between a mullet of five points and an
    estoile of five rays. [Ygraine de Bracy, 09/02, R-Atlantia]

    ... estoiles are one CD from compass stars. [Letia Thistelthueyt,
    12/01, A-Atlantia]

Rouland Carre wrote, "When Laurel (Da'ud I) granted a CD between a
mullet and an estoile he pretty much admitted that he was blowing off
period evidence [in favor of visual appearance].  I don't expect to
see a change any time soon, but period usage is worth noting."

Daniel Lindecolina
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com