[ANSTHRLD] Name, device and badge check - Connor the Hunter

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sun Mar 20 11:06:10 PST 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Ron <eirik at hot.rr.com> wrote:
> > Device, "Or, in bend sinister a mullet vert and a stag
> > springing sable"
>
> Consider Uilliam of Reisling registered 03/92 via Caid:
> "Or, a stag rampant, a bordure engrailed sable."

[springing == rampant]

> I would say there are two distinct CDs for changing the arrangement
> of the stag and for changing the mullet to a border.

CoA Glossary:

    Arrangement. The placement of charges in a group relative to the
    other charges in the group. For example, the arrangement three
    roundels two and one is different than the arrangement three
    roundels in fess. Arrangement is sometimes confused with location,
    and sometimes with orientation. See also Location, Orientation.

So one charge cannot have an arrangement.  If you mean the location:
adding the mullet means that the stag has to shift out of the way, so
that's a forced change of position, which by RfS X.4.g is not a CD:

    g.  Arrangement Changes - Changing the relative positions of
     charges in any group placed directly on the field or overall is
     one clear difference, provided that change is not caused by other
     changes to the design.

> Also, there is the change to the color between the mullet and the
> bordure.

That's the second CD.

On the other hand, that Uilliam of Reisling registration is an
indication that my call versus a "deer crossing sign" was probably too
strict, though unfortunately his file in the Laurel office has no
record of the College of Arms' commentary.

Denyel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com