[ANSTHRLD] looking for help with documentation

Maridonna maridonna at maridonna.com
Tue Mar 1 06:09:01 PST 2005

Alden Drake wrote:

> Could someone with a copy of Black's Surnames of Scotland please help me with a documentation
> summary for the name Witherspoon?

Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland. New York Public Library,
1996, ISBN 0-87104-172-3, s.n. Wotherspoon, Weatherspoon,[etc]. "The
meaning of this name is uncertain. 'Sheep pasture' has been
resonably suggested from OE.  ME weðer, 'sheep, lamb' and spong,
obsolete English for a tongue-shaped piece of land enclosed by or
lying next to higher ground."  [That odd character is the OE letter
'edh'.]

Do you need dated names?  If so, what century?
--
Andrea / Maridonna
Why buy while they die? Adopt a rescue or shelter pet today.