[ANSTHRLD] Shires and Thank Yous

prudencecurious@netscape.net prudencecurious at netscape.net
Mon Nov 14 12:17:40 PST 2005

> My question here goes deeper...why would you want to recoginize someone for service to their local group and _not_ put them in for an AoA?

Reason 1:  Okay, using myself as an example.  It took seven years to get an AOA.  After moving to my new shire (after being in for three years), they started writing me in for an AOA after another two years.  This is what people told me.  But for one reason or another (the royals that reign didn't travel, the letter got lost, all the courts were filled to the max in time, there were no royal progresses (RP) nearby that reign, autocrated the RP and no one had told the crown that particular reign I didn't have an AOA), it took an additional two years to get me and the Crown and a scroll in the same place at the same time.  It would have been nice if the local group had had a means of saying thank you a little more publicly and obviously then just - thanks in a meeting.  And remember this was with writing people in and having good word fame.  Sometimes life just doesn't work out.

Reason 2:  The person has an AOA and continues to do work only at the local level - for decades.  How do you say thank you for that level of service?  (Include maybe a non-stellar personality that a friend of mine has who has been for over 20 years as a local officer - peerage is out-of-the-question.)  So people talk about how to say thank you that gets through someone's thick skull.

Now I will say that my favorite two scrolls were thank yous given to me.  I value them more than the awards scrolls.  One was for a weekend demo (10,000 person) I drove five hours to participate in.  A group for my shire just said "lets go" and five of us arrived and helped out - a lot.  They gave magic markers to a scribe and the result is now framed on my wall.  The other is from all the fencers of my old kingdom for my service to them.  Sometimes when burn-out occurs, I look at those two scrolls and go - oh, yeah, someone likes and respects me.  These make a huge difference.

Ever a Servant,

Prudence the Curious
Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
http://mail.netscape.com