[ANSTHRLD] Confkict check and Blazon

tmcd@panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Mon Nov 14 16:52:38 PST 2005

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Steve K. Rourke <steverourke at charter.net> wrote:
> I just want to double check what I have as a blazon and to make sure that I
> diodn't miss anything while conflict checking.
>
> Gules, a frog tergient Or, a chief embattled Sable.
> http://www.geocities.com/dohmnall_oruairc/Pookie4.bmp

The SCA only capitalizes
- the first word in the blazon
- "(Fieldless)" or "(Tinctureless)", if present
- proper nouns, like "Bowen knot" or "cross of Jerusalem"
- the tincture "Or"

"Tergiant" (note: one E, one A) is the default for frogs, turtles,
insects, et cetera, and therefore can be omitted in this case.  This
per the CoA Glossary of Terms, Table 4, Conventional S.C.A. Default
Postures <http://www.sca.org/heraldry/coagloss.html>

So, in sum,
    Gules, a frog Or, a chief embattled sable.

The chief is a charge on the field.  This is therefore a sable charge
on a gules field -- color-on-color, instaboing.  So I didn't bother
with a conflict check.

Embattling needs to be square, not flattened rectangles.  You could
draw fewer.

Danett de Linccolne
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com