[ANSTHRLD] Shires and Thank Yous

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Mon Nov 14 10:24:01 PST 2005

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Alden Drake <alden_drake at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Not to be contradicive, or oppositive - for I certainly understand
> and agree with the Law of our fine Kingdom,

It's not kingdom law.  Corpora is SCA-wide.

> but I think if a branch wants to give out some sort of token to
> somebody for something, then it shouldn't be an issue, so long as
> they aren't considered to be awards.  With an award being defined as
> having precedence and appearing in the OP.

That last definition does not match things in Ansteorra.  Both of the
baronies that I've lived in have given things that they publicly call
awards, that they think of as awards, that they treat just like
awards, when they are not in the kingdom Roll of Precedence and when
they convey no precedence.

(And they're not even registered as award names, despite Corpora's
    The names and insignia of these awards and orders must be ratified
    by the Laurel Sovereign of Arms.
)

Like Laurel always says,
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, talks like a duck,
    it probably needs a little more time in the microwave.
Wait, that's not what I meant.  If you've raised something that looks
like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, don't try to
convince me that it's a private-enterprise goose.

> And I'm sure there are several past Crowns who probably have been
> given such tokens in the past.  If they perceive this practice to be
> a problem, then why didn't they address it during their reign?

Officers have only so much time and energy, so they pick their fights
carefully -- kings and queens, corporate officers, kingdom officers,
whatever.  And if something is Ancient Tradition, and some people
don't see why some persnickity heralds are complaining, it's that much
harder of a fight and uses up valuable political capital.

Danel de Lyncoln
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com