[ANSTHRLD] question for clarification

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Nov 18 10:57:45 PST 2005

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 nweders at mail.utexas.edu wrote:
> At 08:53 AM 11/18/2005, you wrote:
> >Only at Laurel level, and only if the checkbox "I will not allow
> >the creation of a holding name" is NOT checked. Kingdoms cannot
> >create holding names.
>
> Thanks, I knew that it's only at Laurel level, but I've been wandering
> through the policies (eek!) and couldn't find recent ones.

CoA Administrative Handbook, in section II, "Registerable Items":

    A. Names for Individuals - Names for individuals are divided into
       three administrative categories.

       1. Primary Society Name ...

       2. Alternate Society Name ...

       3. Holding Name - A purely administrative label substituted by
          the Laurel Office to register an individual's armory when
          the submitted name cannot be registered. Only the Laurel
          Office may create holding names.

It is indeed still in force.  As a pedantic note: note that it's
"armory", not just "device".  I've seen a few people submit a name and
a badge.  *shrug*

One detail not mentioned, and what probably shouldn't go into the
warranting test, but which I mention only for completeness:

the armory can be a little after the name is returned, but not too
long after.  If the kingdom sends up a name, and later sends up armory
before hearing whether the name was returned, the armory can get a
holding name.  But if the kingdom sends up a name, sees it bounce, and
THEN sends up armory: the armory bounces for lack of a name (with a
small nastygram in the LoAR).

Dannet Lincoln
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com