[ANSTHRLD] More questions

Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle kihebard at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 18 12:29:00 PST 2005

(What, do we get to give you the use-name of "Estrill Sharp-Eye" in addition
to all your other descriptives?)

If the maintained/grasping/etc. is visually discernable (the "across the
room / field/ten-foot" test), if should certainly be included in the blazon
IMNSHO.   Frex, in my own [pending] device, the jesses/ribbons AND tassel
are all significant while the vervels may not be:  the tassel distinguishes
a falconer's gauntlet from other types of hand-covering, while the grasped
jesses/ribbons are a distinctive tertiary BUT the vervels -- the small rings
at the end that create the distinction between falconry jesses and simple
ribbons -- have long been ruled an artistic embellishment of the tertiary.

As far as the relative positioning of multiple beasts or monsters, my
personal feeling is that this should absolutely be included -- otherwise, we
miss the CVD as opposed to the standard-posture critters all facing the same
direction.  "Argent two bears sable" has an obvious visual difference of at
least half the charge group from "Argent two bears combatant sable".
(Someone more current or with better memory than I: the default position of
an heraldic bear is statant? affronty erect? other?)

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
SCA: al-Sayyid Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MCBaker216 at cs.com
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen