[ANSTHRLD] Can the first name be a shortning of a Locative name?

Maridonna maridonna at maridonna.com
Wed Nov 9 10:12:32 PST 2005

francis.schalles at ttuhsc.edu wrote:

> I wish to register the name, Troye de Lyon. The last part is locative to the
> city of Lyons, Burgundy during the period 1150+ AD.
> As hard as I have tried, I am unable to find any references to the name
> "Troye" during the period. The only thing that pops up is the city of
> Troyes, France.

Not like the given name you want, Morlet, Marie-Therese. _Les Noms
de Personne sur le Territoire de L'Ancienne Gaule du VI au XII Si._
has <Troianus> a saint a. 533, page 112, vol.2.  There would be One
Step From Period Practice (weirdness) for Temporal Disparity.

The source you have for Francois is fine.  Since it from the SCA
Heraldry website and starts www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/  you
don't have to make photocopies. Just be sure put the name of the
article, author and url, and your choice of name on your submission
form.

I'd say something like - Francois.  Maculine given name found in _An
Index to the Given Names in the 1292 Census of Paris_ by Lord Colm
Dubh, URL: http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/paris.html

--
Andrea / Maridonna
Why buy while they die? Adopt a rescue or shelter pet today.