[ANSTHRLD] books

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Fri Oct 14 21:50:32 PDT 2005

Daniel apparently has stolen my library. Okay, not quite.

> _Simple Heraldry Cheerfully Illustrated_ is an utter delight.

I especially like this one.

My personal list of must-haves:

Names:
R&W (amazon/abebooks, cheap)
Black's _Surnames of Scotland_ (not terribly cheap, but generally easy to
find in your local genealogy library!)
...and a copy of name articles from sca.org and s-gabriel.org

I'd include Withycombe, but it's darned hard to find a copy reasonably cheap
(I have a 1st or 2nd edition, I forget which, and a <cough> photocopy of the
3rd).

Armory:
Foster's (yay excellent period armory design!)
An Heraldic Alphabet (must-have glossary)

...and I'm undecided on which of the rest is 'best'. While a pict dict is
nice to have for a local herald, it's very dangerous in the hands of the
unschooled, and you can find good clipart of period charges at
heraldicclipart.com (and on Borek's CD). All the ones Daniel listed are
good, and I'd add Dennys' _The Heraldic Imagination_ (cheaply found) and
Slater's _Complete Book of Heraldry_ (recent and reasonably priced).

-Emma