[ANSTHRLD] books

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Mon Oct 17 11:38:52 PDT 2005

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 nweders at mail.utexas.edu <heralds at ansteorra.org> wrote:
> Granted it doesn't include anything beyond the British Isles (more
> or less)

It should be emphasized that Withycombe is not perfect.  March 2005 LoAR:

      Withycombe, A Dictionary of English Christian Names, cites
      Ariane as the French form of this name. However, undated
      non-English forms in this work are invariably modern.

January 2005 LoAR:

      Unless Withycombe provides a date or period for a particular
      form, the form is generally modern.

September 2004 LoAR:

      The given name is documented from Withycombe, which is not a
      reliable source for non-English names.

> It has also shown that there is a need to discover more Eastern
> Europeans sources or find a person who could become a source.

Walraven van Nijmegen, Nebuly Pursuivant, West Kingdom, CoA commenter.
While it's good to have such a source, the demand is low enough that
it's not as critical as northwestern European sources (Norse, English,
Gaelics).

Danihel de Lincolino
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com