[ANSTHRLD] Device check

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Wed Oct 19 14:35:02 PDT 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 francis.schalles at ttuhsc.edu wrote:
> I submit this to the group for comment.

Hail and well met!

> Argent, a bend sinister sable, charged with two cranes displayed
> gules, one dexter chief and one sinister base.

When you're not 100% sure of the correct blazon, then just as a check
you should give an English-language description.  (Or post the URL of
a picture or sketch.)

A bend sinister is a diagonal stripe from sinister chief (the holder
of the shield's upper left == the viewer's upper right) to dexter base
(the holder's lower right == the viewer's lower left).  That is, when
viewed,

/

"A charged with Bs" means that the B charges rest entirely on the
charge A.  "in dexter chief ... in sinister base" (note: "in") would
make sense only if a bend sinister went those places.  As I noted
above, it doesn't.

The blazon as supplied has red cranes on a black bend sinister.  That
is color-on-color, which we call "insta-boing".  Given the "dexter
chief ... sinister base", I'm wonder if, instead of "charged with",
you meant "between"?  That is, the bend sinister passes between the
two birds, which rest entirely on the field?

Anyway, please describe it in English: a white field, a black diagonal
stripe running from where to where, et cetera.

> Western Cross Herald, Pursuivant to Equinox Herald
> in the Barony of Bonwicke.

I'm curious about that signature and terminology -- if I may ask?
"Herald" and "Pursuivant", when capitalized like that, are titles,
levels of office.  A job is either Foo Herald or Foo Pursuivant.
Also, neither is a relational term in that sense: you are a Herald or
Pursuivant on your own, not "Herald to" or "Pursuivant to".  It would
be like writing "Gunnery Sergeant X, Corporal to Gunnery Sergeant Y".
(Yes, you could be "herald for the kingdom of the Bottomrealm" or
"pursuivant for the barony of Leafgate".)

As I dimly recall, Western Cross is the branch herald (lowercase:
job description, not Title) for the barony of Bonwicke.  If so:
local branch heraldic titles in Ansteorra are "Pursuivants", so
you're "Western Cross Pursuivant in [or for] the barony of Bonwicke".

Danel Lincoln
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com