[ANSTHRLD] Device check

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Oct 20 21:25:30 PDT 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Reis ap Tuder <reis at plumes.org> wrote:
> My device: Azure escutcheony Or (or if you prefer, Azure, semy of
> escutcheons Or.)
> My badge: (Fieldless) An escutcheon Or.
>
> It is, I would argue, impossible to get simpler in the SCA, although
> if you don't buy escutcheony as a complex field treatment, then
> perhaps Francois's (Vert estencely Or) will do.

Estencely is not a field treatment either:

  Fran{c,}ois la Flamme. Device change. Vert estencely Or.
    This does not conflict with Libya, "Vert", by rule X.1, Addition
    of Primary Charges.  Strewn charges are primary if there are no
    other charges.  This has been true for a number of years; for
    example, see the September 1992 LoAR, pp. 39-40, s.n. Jon of the
    Mists. Please instruct the submitter to draw more and larger
    sparks.

    His current device, Vert estencely, a flame Or, becomes a badge.

"Escutcheony" is certainly not a field treatment.

> The point being, you'd have to go with a simple tinctured field
> (e.g. Or) which isn't permissible SCA heraldry.

I would argue that field-primary armory is simpler, having no charges
at all.  Field-primary doesn't mean "simple tinctured".

Daniel "Per chevron embattled argent and azure" de Lincoln
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com