[ANSTHRLD] Device check

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Oct 20 21:31:37 PDT 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Alden Drake <alden_drake at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> If you are referring to a primary charge or group of charges that
> are directly on the field, you don't make any reference to them
> being "on" the field.  You'd just blazon it as <Field Description>,
> a <charge (or charge group)> <tincture> - ie. Vert, a fess argent.
> If there was a fleur-de-lys on the fess, then you'd blazon something
> like: Vert, on a fess argent a fleur-de-lys sable.

Quite so.

> I don't think we blazon using the phrase "charged with".  This would
> generally be applied to a charge that is "charged with" another
> charge.  Instead, I believe we usually say "on a <insert charge>
> <insert tincture> a <insert the charge on the first charge> <insert
> tincture>.

We tend to use "on", but "charged with" is legal and is used
occasionally if it makes a clearer blazon.  Also, I suspect that if
the submitted blazon uses "charged with" and Wreath doesn't have an
arthropod up her hinder about the particular use, the registered
blazon will too.  Otherwise, I can't explain

    Adam Carlos Diaz de Castile|0301A|d|Pean, an tyger rampant within
    a bordure embattled Or charged with six crosses of Santiago gules.

(There was spirited discussion in commentary on the exact type of
crosses they were, and everyone who suggested a blazon used the "on"
form, but Laurel did a couple of other changes and left the "charged
with" alone.)

Daniel Lindecolina
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com