[ANSTHRLD] Definitions of ....

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Oct 28 12:44:33 PDT 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Deborah Sweet <dssweet at okstate.edu> wrote:
> What are the following heraldic items?

_A Pictorial Dictionary of Heraldry / As Used in the Society For
Creative Anachronism_ but Bruce Draconarius of Mistholme and Akagawa
Yoshio was designed to list every charge (other than a standard
ordinary) used in SCA armory.  Since the second edition dates from
1992, there's a few missing.

Parker's _Glossary of Terms Found in Heraldry_ is on-line, has lots of
pictures, and has lots more illos than the Pic Dic.

> Quaver

"(Mus.) An eighth note. See {Eighth}."  In the Pic Dic under "Musical
Note", with "Specific types of notes may be called a 'fusa', a
'(semi)minim', or a '(semi)quaver', depending on the period and the
exact form. No heraldic difference is granted."

A precedent from January 2002:

  Alicia of Granite Mountain.  Holding name and device (see RETURNS
  for name).  Per chevron argent and purpure, two fleurs-de-lys azure
  and a quaver argent.

    The musical note drawn here is a lozenge with a vertical stem
    rising from the sinister end.  While this is the standard SCA form
    in the Pictorial Dictionary, further research has not been able to
    show this form of musical note as a period musical note.  It
    continues to be registerable, but submitters should be advised
    that the standard form of such a note would have the stem rising
    from the top point of the lozenge.  To quote from previous
    precedent:

        According to the PicDic, 2nd ed., # 520, "A musical note is
        ...  commonly represented as a lozenge or an ovoid roundel
        with a vertical stem at one end." The 'musical note' here is
        not a period form, but a modern (post-period) one.  This one
        neither matches the semiminim note in the Pictorial Dictionary
        (a lozenge shape with a vertical line from the sinister
        corner; this version has been superseded by newer research)
        nor the form the newer research has shown (a lozenge shape
        with a vertical line from the top corner).  (LoAR 3/98 p. 16)

    For those interested in the "newer research" mentioned in this
    LoAR, the documentation for that submission's form of musical note
    was from Willi Apel's The Notation of Polyphonic Music 900-1600,
    fifth edition.  The analysis indicating that the current standard
    form of SCA musical note is not found in period musical notation
    was provided by Magister Klement St.  Christoph.

    Submitted under the name Alicia Nicole Burcet.

> Mistral

Pic Dic: "Mistral -- see Wind".

    WIND -- Winds are puffs of cloud with human heads, usually visibly
    blowing air from their mouths.   ... and the "mistral", which is
    female.  Winds face dexter by default, and should be shown in
    profile (though some are affronty); they should never be in trian
    aspect.

> Chamfron

Has its own entry.

> Stocks

Can't find it in the Pic Dic, so I assume it has the standard bondage
meaning (this being the SCA, after all), "pl. A frame of timber, with
holes in which the feet, or the feet and hands, of criminals were
formerly confined by way of punishment."

> Zule

Has its own entry.  Vaguely resembles a column.

> And would a death's head be included in a beastiary?

Is it a beast?

> A monk's hood?

Is *it* a beast?

> And should I make note of any spelling errors I discover in the O&A
> and send them to someone?

SCA CoA Admin Handbook:

    VI. Requests for Correction and Change of Registered Items

    Once an item has been registered, requests for modification of the
    registered form must use the following procedures.

    A. Blazon and Spelling Corrections may be requested if an error
    derives from a typographical error or omission in a Letter of
    Acceptance and Return and/or the Armorial and Ordinary.

        1. Corrections to a Letter of Acceptance and Return must be
           requested in writing to Laurel, clearly indicating the
           specific error or omission and the Letter of Acceptance and
           Return on which the error occurred. Requests for correction
           should not be included on letters of intent or letters of
           commentary and need not be circulated to the membership of
           the College of Arms prior to action. Such requests may be
           made by any member of the College of Arms.

>>===>> 2. Corrections to the Armorial and Ordinary not involving
           errors in a Letter of Acceptance and Return may be
           requested in writing to the Morsulus Herald. Requests for
           correction should not be included on letters of intent or
           letters of comment and need not be circulated to the
           membership of the College of Arms prior to action. Such
           requests may be made by any member of the College of Arms.

    B. Blazon and Spelling Changes must be requested if the error
    derives from an error on a Letter of Intent. Such changes should
    be included on a Letter of Intent for the consideration of the
    College of Arms just as if the submitter were requesting a
    specific change to the name or armory.

So technically you'd have to dig out the original LoI to see how it
ought to be fixed.  If you have access to the Ansteorran files, and
they really store other kingdoms' LoIs back to 1979ish, that's great.
Barring that, I suggest you at least look up the LoAR under
<http://sca.org/heraldry/> and tell Morsulus whether the LoAR has the
error or not, and he can decide how to proceed from there.  Morsulus
is at morsulus at sca.org

Dankyn de Lincoln
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com