[ANSTHRLD] books

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Oct 14 18:14:52 PDT 2005

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Charlie Cain / Larkin O'Kane <larkinokane at cox.net> wrote:
> Reaney's _A Dictionary of English Surnames_ is $24.95 at Amazon
> Reaney & Wilson's _A Dictionary of English Surnames_ * *$13.38 at Amazon.
>
> Of course these are paperback

That's confusing to me.  This is what I gather about the work:

1st ed: Reaney           , _A Dictionary of British  Surnames_
        (Magnus has this, so I'm certain of exact title and author)
2nd ed: Reaney and Wilson, _A Dictionary of British  Surnames_
        (Inferred from the preface of the 3rd ed and from abebooks.com)
3rd ed: Reaney and Wilson, _A Dictionary of  English Surnames_
        (I have this, so I'm certain of exact title and author)

So I suspect that the first entry listed above may be a 3rd ed where
they listed only the first author.

I recommend the 3rd ed.  Googling, I just found
    The dictionary has recently been issued in a revised third edition
    (1997) with an afterword by David Hey.
Blast.

So look for "English" rather than "British" in the title.  If I didn't
see in the online listing both "3rd ed" + both authors, I'd ask the
seller to check.

abebooks.com has 13 copies for under $20 (exclusive of shipping).

Danihel Lindum Colonia
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com