[ANSTHRLD] books

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Oct 14 20:23:55 PDT 2005

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Crandall <crandalltwo-scalists at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Devices:
> Fox Davies

Someone else plumped for Fox-Davies, but I would like to note that
it's Victorian (so grab your grain of salt) and the full-sized one is
expensive.

I have
- _Heraldry_ by Bedingfeld and Gwynn-Jones
- _Heraldry: Sources, Symbols and Meaning_ by Neubecker
- _The Art of Heraldry: Origins, Symbols and Designs_ by Gwynn-Jones,
- Pastoreau's _Heraldry: An Introduction to a Noble Tradition_ (the
  little blue English-language Pastoreau)
- Carl-Alexander von Volborth, _Heraldry: Customs, Rules and Styles_
  (good for regional styles, not good for history)
I would say that they're all decent overviews and introductions, with
quite a few pictures (though not as many as Foster).

_Simple Heraldry Cheerfully Illustrated_ is an utter delight.

Danet de Lyncoln
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com