[ANSTHRLD] Books

Caius Fabius caius_fabius at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 16 19:15:05 PDT 2005

I actually find that the Roman catholic unabridged "Lives of the Saints" has
lots of period names in context, usually dated and is very helpful, with
many different nationalities.  Not all the names are in our period, but
there are a lot that are.

I study Roman naming practises, and have several books which are helpful to
me, but wouldn't be that helpful to anyone doing general naming work, even
though Roman names were adopted for several centuries, by various Western
European cultures as a mark of citizenship and high society.

I don't really know how you could get by with only three books.  I have a
videotape of Master Da'ud ibn Auda trying to give a list of important books,
from a symposium back in the late 1980's and even then we couldn't narrow a
list down to three or even ten.

Caius Fabius