[ANSTHRLD] Device check

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 20 13:46:08 PDT 2005

--- "Schalles, Francis" <francis.schalles at ttuhsc.edu> wrote:
> Again greetings,
> Vert, a fess gules charged with a fleu-de-lys Or.
> Too simple?
>
> Troye
> Western Cross Herald

Also blazoned: Vert, on a fess gules a fleur-de-lys Or.

This design has a color-on-color problem.  The Rule of Tincture, or what you'll commonly hear as
color-on-color or metal-on-metal, is used in the SCA to ensure sufficient contrast of charges on
the field of a device.  Basic colors consist of gules (red), vert (green), sable (black), azure
(blue), and purpure (purple).  Basic metals consist of Or (yellow) and argent (white).  Furs and
"proper" tinctures vary depending on the major tincture used and I'll be willing to discuss them
separately if desired.

Poor contrast is obtained from putting a charge of a color on a field of a color (ie a fess gules
on a vert field).  The same would apply to a metal charge on a metal field (ie a fess Or on an
argent field).

The same would apply to a charge atop another charge - in this case, the fleur-de-lys Or on the
fess gules.  This shows good contrast.  A fleur-de-lys vert on a fess gules would not.

My recommendation would be to change the vert field to either Or or argent.  If you want the vert
field, you'll need to change the fess tincture to a metal, and therefore change the fleur tincture
to a color.

Hope this helps.

YIS,
Alden Drake