[ANSTHRLD] Device check

Reis ap Tuder reis at plumes.org
Thu Oct 20 13:58:03 PDT 2005

> Too simple?

Setting aside the discussion of the device in question (which Alden
has already addressed), there is _almost_ no such thing as "too
simple."  (Historically, I might omit almost; sadly, for the SCA, I
can't.  Quite.)

Allow me to toot my own horn in public as an example.

My device: Azure escutcheony Or (or if you prefer, Azure, semy of
escutcheons Or.)
My badge: (Fieldless) An escutcheon Or.

It is, I would argue, impossible to get simpler in the SCA, although
if you don't buy escutcheony as a complex field treatment, then
perhaps Francois's (Vert estencele Or) will do.  The point being,
you'd have to go with a simple tinctured field (e.g. Or) which isn't
permissible SCA heraldry.  (For that matter, neither was my badge
until a few years ago, under the argument that it would be mistaken
for a simple tinctured field.  But anyway.)

My point is: within the bounds of legality above, Simple Is Good.  And Period.

I like to show new folks my Kingmaker (Avalon Hill, great game) noble
cards.  Very very nearly every device you'll see is a single charge on
a plain field.  What's amazing is how much ground there is that fits
this design that's _still_ not a conflict, because everyone wants to
have Gyronny, Every Object I Own Within a Fimbriated Bordure Dancetty
or whatever.

Simple good.  That's all I'm saying.

Reis
maybe I should get back into book heraldry